Tuesday 12 January 2010

Fixing the BBC clickbits sign off

The other week I E-mailed the BBC to grumble (in a very tongue-in-cheek manner) about the sign-off tag line in their Clickbits technology news video. The sign-off goes:

"Updates have now been installed - you may reboot"

I helpfully pointed out that this was Microsoft-centric and Linux users generally don't have to reboot after installing updates. I suggested an alternative tag line of:

"Updates have now been installed, unfortunately Microsoft users are forced to reboot to get the goodness."

Today I received a friendly E-mail from Zoe Kleinman, the Clickbits Producer, politely asking me to check out the following URL:  http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8449159.stm

...behold, at the end of the video, the sign-off tag line is now:

"Updates have now been installed, you may restart, unless you are using Linux, in which case you don't have too."

Excellent! I'm really glad the BBC is listening!  Kudos to Zoe for being so enlightened!

4 comments:

  1. Hey,
    I found you on the linux user & developer forum. I was reading up about developing for the kernel online. Currently I know some basic scripting languages but I was wondering the best way to get into developing for the kernel / giving back and how to get involved. If you had any pointers I would greatly appreciate it

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Aegil, I suggest a good starting point is https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeam/KnowledgeBase

    Colin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny thing, my Ubuntu Netbook Edition install requested a reboot last night!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Tim, note I said "Linux users generally don't have to reboot...". When a kernel update comes in a reboot is required - but for apps it's not. Also, one is not forced to reboot there and then. Hope that clarifies things a little.

    ReplyDelete